Treishnish

   TREISHNISH, isles, in the parish of Kilninian, county of Inverness. These are a cluster of small islands, lying about four leagues westward of the Island of Mull, and in the vicinity of Staffa. One of the principal, Cairn-burgh-more, was formerly considered by the natives as a place of great strength, and its castle was generally occupied by a small party; it is a high rock, of considerable extent, and inaccessible on all sides except by one narrow pass. Another, Cairn-burghbeg, is a smaller rock near it, separated by a narrow sound, and to which the same description in every respect applies. These rocks are said to have been the boundary of the two governments into which the Hebrides were divided when subject to the crown of Denmark. In 1249, Cairn-burgh-more was summoned to surrender to Alexander III., who meditated the conquest of these islands. The Macleans possessed it in 1715, and during the rebellion of that year it was taken and retaken by each of the contending parties.

A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. . 1856.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • Treishnish — Treishnish, unbewohnte Inselgruppe der Hebriden, zur schottischen Grafschaft Argyle gehörig …   Pierer's Universal-Lexikon

  • Hebriden — (Hebuden, Western Islands, Westliche Inseln), 1) Gruppe von nahe an 300 Inseln im Atlantischen Ocean, an der Westküste von Schottland; Gesammtflächenraum: 162 QM. (1,792,000 Acres); 69 von ihnen sind das ganze Jahr u. 8 nur den Sommer über… …   Pierer's Universal-Lexikon

Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.